2. nobody thinks about anyone as much as anyone worries about what people think about them. folks read more into less than anyone except telenovella stars
3. my dog likes bananas. that doesn't make her a monkey.
4. deserts are actually filled with life. it's a certain way of living that feels so much like what they call a desert
5. adrenaline is darn good for a burst of excitement, but flawed as a life barometer
6. the funny thing is that it is so often a way of seeing that defines or redefines possibilities. the second funny thing is that imagining that "always" and "so often" are synonyms is error.
7. it's criminal to care so much about some things that in effect we care so little about what matters.
8. listen, soothe, attend, try to understand. that's often all one can do, and more than enough.
9. no point in worrying about what hand could have been dealt instead. all one really gets to do is play the hand out. fortunately, jokers pop up in sleeves as if by magic sometimes.
10. given care, compassion, and a smidgen of self-judgment, by the time one understands what one could have done differently, one has already done the wrong thing so well it doesn't matter.