Robert (gurdonark) wrote,

Hartford and a Niece

Wednesday night I flew to Hartford. I watched the movie about young Han Solo. I liked the film and in particular Emilia Clarke in the film.  Thursday morning I headed out from the Red Lion Inn to take a walk. I passed Dunkin Donuts field, where I was pleased to learn that the city's minor league team bore the name the Yard Goats. I walked to my conference at the U Conn law school.  The walk was a bit over a mile. I passed the Connecticut state capitol and the Hartford Insurance building as I walked on a street called Asylum.   I liked the campus, which was traditional. In a library area they had a great exhibit of photographs of all the women who were Connecticut judges. They put blue ribbons that said "Alumna" on the photos of graduates of the school.  The continuing education conference was good, and it was good to see long-standing acquaintances in my field.

After the first day of the conference, I took two work calls. Then I walked back to my hotel, eschewing the cocktail party. I like seeing everyone, but the hotel at which the cocktail party was being held was a goodish way off, and it was raining. I had my rain jacket on, and walked back to my hotel.  I did not get very wet. On the way back to the hotel I stopped at a Thai place called Siam for broccoli chicken and edamame. I watched a telvised football game between Texas Christian University and Texas Tech University.

Friday morning I had a kind of egg and bacon and cheese grilled wrap at a curious chain store called Freshii. After the Friday conference ended, I took a cab to the Hartford airport.  My cab was prompt,which made me happy. I caught the 6:14 flight home. My update of my computer during my trip apparently made it no longer compatible for movie watching. Instead, I re-read for the xth time the Charles Dickens novella "A Christmas Carol". I also read a bit of my long-standing flight reading project, Willa Cather's "One of Ours".

Our 12-year-old niece Quinn, who visited us last weekend, was still up when I arrived home near 10 p.m. It was great to see her. Saturday morning I got up eathe rly to take a walk in our local park. The sprinkling at the walk's outset turned into a deluge as  I walked.  I had to change clothes when I got home. We took Quinn to Elke's for lunch. Her favorite food is macaroni and cheese.

In the afternoon, we went to Pin Stack in Allen. Quinn went on the rope thing, and we all played video games and pinball. Quinn and I did bumper cars which were fun and even more tame than the usual bumper cars.

We all went to dinner at Napoli, where I had spaghetti marinara, Quinn had linguini alfredo and my wife had chicken piccata.

Sunday I went to Weight Watchers and to church. I was up 4/10ths of a pound. In the afternoon, Quinn and I went to the natatorium. She struck up a friendly discussion with a 10-year-old boy named Devon. Devon explained that he lived in a trailer park with his grandmother, and they came to the natatorium every week. I liked floating quietly in the lazy river as Quinn and Devon floated just ahead of me.
The rain abated enough that I could walk in the park Sunday afternoon. My wife and Quinn made tasty chocolate chip cookies. I went to sleep early Sunday night, but woke up to find my wife and Quinn cheering on their hometown Kansas City Chiefs, who were nobly losing a close game to the New England Patriots.

Monday my wife took off work. She took Beatrice to the vet, where, despite my worries, Beatrice got a fairly clean bill of health. She took Quinn to the airport. We had a good time with Quinn.

Rain fell all day Monday. It got very cold--in the 40s fahrenheit. I walked at lunch through the rain to Potbelly's. Monday night  I fell asleep before the episode of "Manifest" had ended.

from Dreamwidth, because two posts of the same text are twice as nice

  • 2.5 and looking forward

    Saturday I scored 2.5/5 in an open on-line blitz chess tournament, though my play probably deserved a 1.0 out of 5. My on-line blitz rating prior to…

  • Play fast

    I played too many bullet chess games last night. I walked in Schell Park in Plano after work. Rain fell last night. I overslept today, which rarely…

  • No Warbler, No Cry

    I am on my annual Fall Migration walking pattern--many walks, few warblers. Saturday night we got together with our friends Greg and Melissa, who…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded